Last night I tried making Lamb & mushroom bhuna
– 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
– 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
– 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
– 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
– 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
– 1 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds
Firstly I cooked the spices in a small pan until they went quite dark in colour before transferring them into a mortar and pestle, allowing them to cool before crushing them into a powder.
2 large shallots, finely chopped
1 tspn grated ginger root
2-3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 medium tomato, chopped or 100g tinned chopped tomatoes
450g diced lamb
salt to taste
Heat the oil in a pan and add the shallots, ginger and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until brown, stirring constantly.
Add tomato, reducing to thick paste.
Stir in spices, cooking for a minute
Add diced lamb and salt, cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in 125ml boiled water and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer gently for about 70 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
Cook mushrooms in separate pan for 5 minutes and add to main dish once lamb is cooked.
Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring continuously until the sauce has reduced to the point where it clings to the meat. Serve with rice. I didn’t have any rice so I just had poppadoms and naan which works as well.
Maybe this is hell
Maybe this is heaven
Maybe it’s a glimpse inside
The souls we’ve all been given
Maybe it’s forbidden
Knowledge while we’re living
Maybe it’s a game we play
Maybe someone’s kidding
Spinach & ricotta cannelloni tonight.
A big bowl of ultra sauce:
2 egg yokes
Cheddar cheese (50g)
Herbs (I used oregano, basil & chives)
Fill cannelloni tubes with mixture and arrange in buttered dish, cover in passata and add the second wave of cheese, cover in tin foil in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove tinfoil, add garlic bread or whatever side you choose to have I would start preparing about now while cooking the cannelloni uncovered for another 20-25 minutes and it should be all good.
I really enjoyed this. The spinach mixture and the passata coming together is very pleasing and although it could be argued that it is a bit hardcore on the prep front I think it is worth it.
I see it as a different take on lasagne and my views on spinach have been changed forever haha
Salmon w/majicka sauce & potatoes & green beans.
4 Salmon fillets
Pack of green beans
Pack of potatoes
1. Heat oven to 200 and place salmon in dish with some pepper & butter before placing inside. Cook green beans & potatoes (lid on) removing potatoes when they are half way there.
2. Place potatoes on separate oven dish and put them in beside the salmon.
3. When stuff is nearing completion, fry shallots, mushrooms and peas for a few minutes before adding cream followed by Parmesan. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes before ‘voila’
4. Shout dinner is served or something similar while declaring yourself champion of the world.